Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Green & Green Settee Part II

Just finished the 33rd annual Siskiyou Woodraft Guild show in Ashland Oregon this past Thanksgiving Weekend.  It is a great show.  We have great performers playing great music throughout the show.  This really adds to the ambiance and encourages people to linger and relax and talk.



Back to the settee.  I finished shaping the templates.  I'm careful making good templates off of the draft as these are the basis for my curves going forward.  I use sanding, files, spokeshaves, hand planes, etc to shape the templates.



I also performed final milling for most pieces. 

Crud!!! - the critical front rail did not work out.  The front rail had a big gouge almost 3/16" deep in the back from the lumber yard.  The board was thick enough so that I could joint the front side and then pretty much hog off the back side to remove the big gouge.  That part of the plan worked.  However, by taking the vast majority of the wood from one side only the board ended up warping something nasty. 


The moral of this sad story is to make sure to remove equal amounts of wood on both sides during the milling process.  Back to the lumber yard for another piece of cherry.  I will have to replace the 2 side rails as well as I want grain continuity on the sides and front (back does not matter as it is pretty much hidden). 

No comments:

Post a Comment