Pages

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Greene & Greene Blacker House Office Chair (Splines/Pegs) - Part XI

The last bit for this chair are the splines and pegs.  I'll be repeating myself here since I've gone over this in other blog entries - but hey, as I've said before, verbosity on the web costs little!

I will install the crest rail spline first as this is a somewhat delicate operation.  Skipping ahead, here is what the spline will look like once installed (somewhat dull as I have not buffed it yet):


The spline comes up the side and then takes a turn to the rear to follow the rearward sweep of the crest rail.  While this can possibly be cut with a router I prefer to use hand tools here.  Below I'm using a flexible jig with 1/4" spacing that conforms to the curve of the side of the chair.  This jig allows me to center the spline along the length of the side which I cannot do with a marking gauge riding one side or the other.


Next I'll use a dremel to hog out most of the waste:


For the top I will use a marking gauge running along the back of the crest rail.  I adjust the marking gauge to meet up with the scribe lines below.  I follow up with the dremel once again, making sure that I stay away from my scribe lines:



Now its time to use my chisel to clean the sides:


The trickiest part is the corner - need to go slow and deliberate here!



Now its ready for splines.  I make the splines using the bandsaw and the Jet 10-20 drum sander.


The tricky part here is where the bottom spline meets the top.  There is a compound angle here and requires some fussing to get a tight fit with my jack plane:


After the glue dries I use a coping saw and my dremel to hog off most of the waste, followed with a spokeshave, file, and sandpaper:



Here is my method for making pegs.  I make the peg stock using a bandsaw and the small drum sander (Jet 10-20).  Then I lay out my sand paper squares as such:


I've got 120 grit on the left followed by 150, 220, 320, 400, and 600.  Below the sandpaper you see a sanding pad - which I use not for sanding but for cushioning under the sandpaper.

I start with the 120 and 150 grits without the sanding pad on a hard surface.  I use the pad under all the other higher grits.  Now, the way I work is that I do not use a pendulum motion.  I angle the stock and slide the tip from left to right only - keeping the angle the same.  I then rotate the stock and make another 2-3 passes.  I make 2 more rotations so that all sides have been sanded.  The goal with the 120 and 150 is to make a pyramid with even edges.  I may have to rotate the stock another round to get the pyramid shape, especially for thicker stock.  I find that by sliding the stock in one direction at a fixed angle I have a much better chance of making even edges all around.  If I try to apply a pendulum motion I find that the edges are all uneven vis-a-vis each other.


Now, if one had a disc sander (which I do not) then one could use that to obtain the initial pyramid shape.

I then go to the 220 grit with the sanding pad underneath.  I use the same hand motion.  However, with the soft sanding pad underneath, the pyramid tip evolves to a nice pillow shape - exactly what I am looking for.  These higher grits go fast as I'm only looking to remove the scratch marks of the previous grit.

Then I buff the edge with my dremel tool and cut the tip off using a fine handsaw - about 3/16" long:




Here I'm using the Lee Valley square hole cutter to make my holes:


Here's the chair with the ebony accents finished:


2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog today, beautiful work on the chair. Do you find that the square cutters work well for you? How do you keep them straight? Have you tried putting the drill bit down the hole of the cutter?

    I enjoyed browsing you site and want to follow you but I could not find a way to follow by email?

    Michael
    http://michaelswoodcraft.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/wood-gloat/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, you've very good at creating that chair!! I really like the images where step by step you've shared everything. It's totally a good tutorial to watch and read.

    ReplyDelete